The 3rd Global Alliance Lab between the Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China and the University of Electro-Communications
December 26, 2014
The Global Alliance Lab (GAL) between Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China and the University of Electro-Communications was set up at both universities on December 2014 (Fig.1, Fig.2 and Fig.3) with the help of Brain Science inspired for Life Support Research Center.
- Fig.1. Signing ceremony at Faculty Center of Xuhui campus of SJTU.
Signed by Prof. Zhen HUANG, Vice President on the MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING ON GLOBAL ALLIANCE LABORATORY BETWEEN THE SHANGHAI JIAO TONG UNIVERSITY, CHINA AND THE UNIVERSITY OF ELECTRO-COMMUNICATIONS, JAPAN signed by Prof. Koji Abe.
- Fig.2. The Unveiling GAL panel
From the Left; Prof. Hiroshi Yokoi, Prof. Takashi Fukuda, Prof. Takayoshi Kobayashi, Prof. Xu Zhou, Prof. Aiguo Ming, Prof. Zhen HUANG, Prof. Qixin Cao
- Fig.3. Memorial photo of the Signing Ceremony
From the Left; Mr. Hesong Ye, Ms. Xiaobei Jing, Yinlai Jiang, Prof. Qixin Cao, Prof. Zhen HUANG, Mr. Minoru Kakizawa, Prof. Takayoshi Kobayashi, Prof. Aiguo Ming, Prof. Takashi Fukuda, Prof. Xu Zhou, Prof. Hiroshi Yokoi, Mr. Suguru Hoshikawa, Mr. Xu Yong, Mr. Shintaro Hoshikawa
The main aims of GAL include establishing international collaboration academic activities including bi-directional student exchange programs, internships, special lectures by faculty members from both universities, and research collaboration.
- Fig. 4. Welcome address and Discussions
- Fig.5. Traditional Afternoon Tea in the Lounge
Welcome address (Fig.4 and Fig.5) to UEC attendance at GAL signing ceremony by Prof. Qixin Cao, Director of Engineering Training Center, SJTU. The signing ceremony is set up by Prof. Wanguo XU, Division of International Cooperation.
One of the unique features of GAL is that both universities can set up space on each other's campus for faculty members, researchers and students to use during their visit. The GAL will facilitate continuous international collaboration activities between the two universities. Furthermore, members of other GALs can also use the network.
- Fig.6. In front of Engineering Training Center with welcome sign for UEC President Prof. Takashi Fukuda on the electrical scoreboard
From the Left; Prof. Dingguo Zhang, Prof. Weidon Chen, Prof. Qixin Cao, Prof. Takashi Fukuda, Prof. Hiroshi Yokoi, Prof. Aiguo Ming, Prof. Hesheng WANG, Prof. Nan Luan
Prof. Qixin Cao organized committee meeting at the Engineering Training Center(Fig.6), and discussed concerning on both students and faculty collaborate on the exchange program and collaborative research between SJTU and UEC via the GALs. The SJTU-UEC Exchange Lecture Program will be held at UEC in July and at SJTU in September 2015. The Collaborative Research from April 2015 at both UEC and SJTU organizes the joint development teams for the joint research of service robotics as followings;
- Advanced Laser Technology
- Intelligent verbal communication
- Robotics Technology for decreasing birthrate and aging population
- Science for Adaptable Learning Computation System
- Informatics of Brain Functions
International collaboration projects are also carried out in both GALs
Fig. 7. Robot Demonstrations at the Engineering Training Center
- (a) Mr. Sakoda explains EMG Prosthetic Hand of UEC for Prof. Chen
- (b) Prof. Zhang explains Intelligent Robot hand of SJTU for Prof. Fukuda
- (c) Prof. Cao explains Computer-Assisted (Robotic) Surgical Systems of SJTU for Prof. Fukuda