page top

Go to body text

body text

Location of this page
  • HOME
  • Admission Guide for Research Students in the Graduate School


Admission Guide for Research Students in the Graduate School

The University of Electro-Communications (hereinafter referred to as UEC) can accept students who wish to conduct specific research topics in graduate school as “Research Student”. “Research Student” is allowed to pursue own research interest under his/her supervisor’s guidance; however, it is neither eligible to earn credits and a degree, nor considered as full-time students such as “undergraduate students” and “graduate students”.

For Prospective Research Students, October 2017

Research Terms

From October 1st, 2017 to March 31st, 2018
If you are planning to continue your research activity on next academic year, you are required to re-register for the extension during the designated period; the register date is plan to be on December, 2017. The extension of research period will be maximum two years including an initial period.

How to Apply

You carefully read a guideline “Applying for Admission” and fill out the forms. If you are an international applicants, see also “A Guideline for Certificate of Eligibility for Status of Residence (CoE)

*We will update more details of April, 2018 enrollment on end of October, 2017.

For Research Student who Hope to Continue your Study in UEC

Please pick up the transfer forms at the International Student Office to pay your tuition for the second semester: The period of semester is from October 1st, 2017 to March 31st, 2018. After you pay the tuition, you need to bring the receipt to the office by 1:00p.m. September 29th, 2017. If we will not receive it by then, you are not eligible to keep doing a research.

For Research Students who Withdraw from UEC

If you are planning to withdraw from the current student status for any reasons such as you become a UEC graduate student, you are obliged to submit a Request Form for Discontinued Research (Form 5). Please be aware that you are not allowed to stay in Japan with the visa status of “College Student”, when you stop your research activity.

For Research Student who Completed your Research

Please fill out the following forms: Completed Research Form and Research Summary (Form 4), and submit them to the International Student Office by the end of your research period. If you would like to receive the Certificate of Completed Research either in English or Japanese, apply it at the International Student Office.

For Prospective UEC Graduate Students

UEC re-established new graduate school named “School of Informatics and Engineering” in April, 2016. The admission process has been changed on the basis of the reform and reorganization. We recommend you to confirm the requirements as an International Student to apply for the graduate school at UEC: for instance the minimum period required of study.

For more information, see the following link in below.

Download Forms

Application Form【Form 1】
Application Form【Form 1】 (Sample)
Research Proposals【Form 2】
Academic Supervisor Confirmation Form【Form 3】
Completed Research Form【Form 4】
Discontinued Research【Form 5】
Decline Admission Form【Form 6】
Decline Continuous Form【Form 7】

Q & A

Q1 Can UEC issues the Student Commuter Certificate for purchasing Student Commuter Pass for a research student?

A1:No. The research student is NOT qualified for student discounts.

Q2 Can I apply for student dormitory?

A2:As a research student, you are eligible to apply for UEC Port student dormitories (Dorm TOMODACHI or Dorm KIZUNA).
If you are interested in applying for the dormitory, please see the following website for further details. Once the dormitory rooms are fully occupied, the application is closed. In general, it takes about one month to complete a rental contract procedure. Therefore, we recommend you to check the website occasionally for the latest information, including the room availability.

Q3 Can I audit the classes at UEC?

A3:A research student can audit the classes in related his/her research fields. To audit the class, the permissions from both an Academic Supervisor and a faculty member who conducts the class are required.
Note; You are not eligible to obtain credits as a research student.

Q4 Can UEC renews a residence card to extend of period of stay in Japan as student status?

A4:No. you go to Immigration Bureau of Japan and precede it by yourself. International Student Office will issue 2 pages of application for extension of period of stay (for organization). Those of you, who need to renew the card, apply them at the International Student Office.

Q5 Should I obtain permission from an academic supervisor of UEC by the time I apply for admission?

A5:Yes, applicants are required to obtain permission from the supervisor in order to apply for admission.

Q6 How to find an academic supervisor of UEC?

A6:First, go to the website listed in below or typed “Laboratory for the University of Electro-Communications” at Google searching based on your research interests.
Second, contact directly to UEC faculty members by e-mail, phone or visiting to receive his/her permission.

Q7 I am an International applicants (living in overseas), but I cannot find any proxy in Japan (a legal representative). What should I do?

A7:Applying from outside Japan, it is required to have the proxy. If you cannot find him/ her, unfortunately you are not qualified to apply for admission.
Contact Us

International Student Office
#109, Building E-2, University of Electro-Communications
Open Hours: 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
       1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
       *Office will be closed during the weekend
Tel: 042-443-5117
E-mail:iso(please add @sign here)

Graduate school